Skip to main content

Costume Journal: Wendigo/Not-Deer Costume

So spooky!

The idea for this costume came from my brainstorming on what to wear for office Halloween. I do have a couple of already made costumes I could use that I haven't worn yet, but I was hit with this idea when I remembered that I 3D printed a fox skull mask and found my "shaggy" faux fur fabric.

I have so much scrap material around that I'm just "saving for a rainy day". Well, the rainy day has come and I wish to use up my scraps and clear out some of my closet. So...the spirit of greed and starvation the Wendigo. 

Components 

The costume was in part inspired by another person's 3D kit on Thingiverse. It used a variation of the fox skull, added antlers and long claws. So, what I'm borrowing from that design is: 

  • Skull Mask
  • Antlers
  • long Claws
  • Fur Hood
Where I will differ is I'm using this as an excuse to finally make those Hoof Boots I wanted. I am also making the cloak part more like a Ring Wraith or Dementor cloak. 

Body

long-sleeved shirt, Scrap fabric poncho, Hakama/Sweat Pants, Black Gloves Morph Suit Hood, scrap fabric belts

Feet

Hoof Boots: fabric shoe reinforced with EVA and worbla, sole inserts/dance pads, Mold and Cast Hooves, Nylon leggings (from Lotara costume)

Purchased from Etsy. I'll need some more dance pads though. Those are AMAZING for wearing heels. 

Hands

 3D Printed Elongated claws

Head

 3D Printed Skull, 3D Printed Antlers attached to a headband, Shaggy fur Hood, Thick elastic

Special effects

 Considering glowing eyes. Considering a sound box (I have one of those teddy bear ones that let you record a sound, then just push to replay. 

Supplies on Hand

  • Plenty of scrap fabric in brown, white and black. I will use cotton, jersey knit, and spandex all of which are leftovers
  • Shaggy faux fur
  • Extra PLA
  • Leggings from Lotara in a dark grey
  • Black silk gloves
  • 3D printed Fox Skull Mask
  • Morphsuit Head cover (just bought)
  • 3D printed Headband for antlers
  • 3D Printed claws
  • Iron Man style Mask Lights
  • Paint
  • 3D Printed hoof
  • Wefts of Yak Hair 
  • Black Fake Hakama Pants/Grey Sweat Pants
  • Grey sweatshirt
  • EVA Foam
  • Black Worbla
  • Scrap Leather
  • Teddy Bear Voice Recorder and playback button
  • Smooth Cast 300
  • Contact Cement
  • Superglue
  • Elastic
  • Rubber bands

Tutorials/References

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hakama Series - Hibakama (Scarlet Hakama)

The bright red hakama with a white kimono is a common sight in both anime and video game characters. Shrine maidens or Miko also wear this combination of colors when they work at Shinto shrines. Honestly, there is a LOT of history and cultural significance wrapped up in this one.  Anime/Games: Inuyasha, Genshin Impact, Sailor Moon,  So let's talk Design. Design Considerations Cultural Significance This is one I'd pay attention to if I was creating a character of my own. I assume that already created characters have had this research done and have taken their artistic license.  Some of the research taught me a few things: The color is technically scarlet or vermillion, not "red". 🤷 Miko are not part of the Shinto clergy. Sometimes they are just seasonal workers.  Generally, Miko are young women in their teens or early 20s. After a certain age, they wear different colors.  This was based on Heian nobility colors and fashions.  Color Like I said earlier, the color is ve

Hakama Series - Andon Bakama (Skirt Style)

Andon Bakama were hakama typically worn by women in an academic setting during the 1900s or so. Modern times, they are usually worn for formal occasions such as graduation. It is also the style that just looks nice with a kimono especially for those of us with Western hips the size of Texas.  See examples in Anime/Games: Here Comes Miss Modern, Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, Sakura Wars.  So let's get into how to make one. Tutorial style! Design Elements These are things to consider before you start.  by Chihirohowe Skirt Length Traditionally this is worn just below the ankle if you are wearing flat sandals, geta, or zori. It is worn above the ankle for sneakers, boots, and heels. You can adjust how high on your waist you wear it if you are going to switch between the two.  Colors Normally, these are a solid color, sometimes with embroidered floral patterns near the bottom. Red/Scarlet is uncommon outside of Miko. Patterned fabric is appropriate for this.  Side Openings The length

Hakama Series - Split Leg Hakama

This is the classic style that you likely think of when you hear the word "Hakama". Very wide-legged pleated trousers worn by swordsmen and warriors. Admittedly these are "modern" hakama. There are variations based on historical time period and social status. But these should suit most cases.  So, lets go over how to make them!  You will see examples of this in many games and Anime but some faves of mine include: Rurouni Kenshin, Bleach, Demon Slayer, XXXholic, Hell's Paradise and Genshin Impact.  UPDATE 4/10/2024: I've redone all my instructions. Now that I've actually made a pair of hakama and found some more resources, I felt this needed updating.  From Chihirohowe's Guide Design Elements Color For modern or fantasy character design, no limits to color! You can also use print fabric and add designs! Historically, these would be a solid color and often have a neutral color scheme (white, grey, black, brown). More colorful hakama were usually worn