Skip to main content

Protective Gear for Costuming

 With the wide variety of tools and chemicals you can use when making a costume, I figured it might be advisable to create a general SAFETY FIRST type post. 

Typically you'll want to be careful of: 

  • Sharp Things
  • Dust/Particles/Flying Debris
  • Hot/Flammable Things
  • Chemical/Fumes
  • Electric Things
  • Machines

General Precautions

- Research your Materials and Tools!

Before using any material or tools, check for warning labels. If you find 'em, read 'em. Usually you can find these on the product itself if the warning is warranted. You can also do a little online research. 
Common warnings are: 
  • Flammable
  • High Pressure
  • High Temperature/Hot
  • Hazardous Material
  • Irritant Warning
  • Skin Contact Warning
  • Poison
Just to name a few.

- Be Alert and Focused

One bit of advice I got from an online course is to never cut leather while upset or tired. You make a lot more mistakes if your brain doesn't have the capacity to focus and coordinate your movement. When handling sharp, hot, or dangerous items, your risk of injury goes up. I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck by a needle or broke a sewing machine needle because I was distracted or careless. 

- Cover things you want to protect

Not only your body, but things like furniture, floors, pets and other people need protection. If you rent, make sure you don't cause damage or stains. >_> I will admit I had a purple stain on my apartment floor for years. Luckily, it came out when I had to move. (Seriously though, don't risk it!) Also animals and young children don't have the capacity to understand danger of sharp tools or dangerous chemicals. Try to keep them at a safe distance.

Protecting Your Body

First, you should protect your person from the materials you may work with. The common things to cover are eyes, hands, mouth/nose, and any exposed skin.
 
Eyes - Chemical Googles, protective Glasses, Splash Guards, Welding Mask

If you wear contacts, you might switch to glasses for a bit while working. 

Hands - Gloves, Mitts, rubbery gloves, latex gloves, cutting gloves

Your hands are the primary manipulators of your project. Some protection will reduce dexterity or grip so try to find things in your size. 

Skin - Clothes, Apron, Coveralls, hazmat

Other parts of your skin or even your clothes can use protection at least from mess. 

Lungs/Mouth/Nose - Dust mask, Respirator

If 2020 taught us anything, you need to have an effective mask. ;) Seriously though, when working with any kind of chemical or fuming material, check to see what kind of respirator you need! Sometimes a dust mask is NOT enough, you need more filters. I want to harp this point a bit because there are some particles commonly used in crafting that can cause permanent damage to your lungs or nervous system that can lead to an early demise. ☠

Ears - Ear Plugs, Ear Muffs/Warmer, Earbuds/Headphones

Care about your hearing? When using particularly noisy equipment, protect your ears with appropriate products. 

Protecting Others/Environment

Storing and Disposing of Hazardous Materials
Keep your materials in a place not easily accessible by curious critters or children. It also should be in a spot that doesn't get too hot or cold, according to the warning labels. I have a lot of chemical stuff in my cupboard under the sink, but my cat doesn't open cabinets and sneak in. If he was more precocious, then I'd find a way to baby-proof those doors or store them on the high shelf in the laundry where he can't reach. 

So, an annoying thing is disposing of unused or "spoiled" materials. You should not just put it in landfill garbage. (Aerosol cans can explode...so...not cool for truck drivers or disposal workers.) Try to find a paint can recycling center near you or you can also go to a hardware supply store and ask where you can dispose them. 

- Ventilation - 

Air flow helps disperse fumes, smells, and chemicals. Concentrated amounts of these things can cause harm, but dispersed they become less dangerous. Still, even with good ventilation, wear protection on your mouth and nose. And don't spray into the wind. 

Summary

I know a bunch of this is very vague, maybe a bit freaky. I could be talking about ANYTHING. But I can't predict what you'll likely use to make a costume. 
Some of the dangerous stuff I use are aerosol paints, fillers, and varnishes. Resin both curing and sanding. (Certain types of resin dust can be very damaging to lungs! That's one I recommend you research thoroughly before use!) Knives, sewing needles, sewing machines, electric sander, box cutters and many other types of blades. Hot glue gun. My oven. 

And hey, it's going to happen. You'll nick yourself, burn yourself, cut yourself, or something. Keep your first aid kit stocked and handy for quick things. And make sure you have a phone on hand if you need further help. I once had to pull a sewing machine needle out of my thumbnail. Luckily I was able to do it myself with my hemostats. (That I use for stuffing plush toys.) A little neosporin and a bandaide did the trick in that case. But I also have a burn scar from trying to make hard candies. 

That's all for today. I'll post again next year with more costume ideas, designs and semi-tutorials. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Costume Fabric Cheat Sheet: How to Pick Fabric for your Costume

 In the previous post , I laid out how to describe different aspects of fabric when trying to find a good fabric for your costume. This post will go over ways to apply those terms and actually pick out a fabric for your costume. I will attempt to teach by examples.  4 Avenues of Research Cheat! I mean...look at other cosplays. You can often find images of photoshoots which make for better references than illustrations. If you are lucky, the costume maker may have posted a journal about how they made their costume or at least list the materials they used.  Check for Suggestions in Sewing Patterns Sewing patterns will list suggested fabrics to use for the costume. Pop those terms into a search engine and see the results.  Historical, Cultural, or Real Life Examples With a search engine or books, you can find out about how clothes were made back in the day or what materials are used around the world. You can also check the tags on your clothes to see what it's made of.  Narrow down to

Hakama Series - Hibakama (Scarlet Hakama)

The bright red hakama with a white kimono is a common sight in both anime and video game characters. Shrine maidens or Miko also wear this combination of colors when they work at Shinto shrines. Honestly, there is a LOT of history and cultural significance wrapped up in this one.  Anime/Games: Inuyasha, Genshin Impact, Sailor Moon,  So let's talk Design. Design Considerations Cultural Significance This is one I'd pay attention to if I was creating a character of my own. I assume that already created characters have had this research done and have taken their artistic license.  Some of the research taught me a few things: The color is technically scarlet or vermillion, not "red". 🤷 Miko are not part of the Shinto clergy. Sometimes they are just seasonal workers.  Generally, Miko are young women in their teens or early 20s. After a certain age, they wear different colors.  This was based on Heian nobility colors and fashions.  Color Like I said earlier, the color is ve

Costume Design: Guiding Principles

Part of designing costumes is finding a way to pick from many solutions. Limiting these choices can be the art of design.  I have some of my own "Guiding Principles" or Design Principles when it comes to costume design. Some of these constraints are based on non-mutable factors. (Or currently difficult to change.) The fun ones are a bit on the arbitrary side. These are self-imposed limitations for the costume that as a designer I decide to apply to any given costume.  The point of these principles is to help you make a final decision if you are paralyzed by many choices. I may get hung up on some pretty silly things, so at the very least, this helps me move forward and kind of imply that I had a plan all along.  Immutable Design Principles We might run into some touchy subjects here but whatever, here we go! Immutable principles are either constraints your life situation has you in at any given time or core beliefs about what you wear. This can mean things like religious beli